Mobile marketing can be defined as a digital marketing strategy that is used to target ads to users on their mobile devices. There are many ways you could reach your audience through this form of marketing. In this blog, we will cover a few of those strategies and how to use them.
A major benefit of using Mobile Marketing is that your Ads will reach a larger audience. This means that your brand will be exposed to more people which in turn could result in a higher conversion rate over time. In combination with this, engaging with your customers through their mobile devices will help to improve your existing relationship with them, by gaining their trust and long-term loyalty.
Here are a few reasons why you should incorporate mobile marketing into your strategy:
- Reach a broader audience
- Target a specific group of people
- Build stronger relationships with existing customers
- Potential to go viral (Can be seen as a disadvantage if your content is not right)
- Great for search engine rankings
- Easier to reach your audience
We need to also recognize that there may be disadvantages to Mobile Marketing:
- You could end up with bad user experiences
- No room for errors (This relates to going viral. If you present your audience with content that could possibly create a negative first impression, going viral will be seen as a disadvantage)
The growth of Mobile Marketing over the years
Mobile Advertising spend is increasing each year, Statista Inc., one of the leading statistics companies on the internet, offers a graph on statistics showing the increase in mobile advertising spend worldwide between 2007 and 2022.
How to create a Mobile Marketing strategy?
- Create mobile buyers persona It is extremely important to understand who your target audience for Mobile Marketing is in order to reach them successfully. Your customers on mobile are generally your b2c customers meaning that you are selling your product or service directly to them. It is important to do some research on your expected target audience in order to make sure you are delivering the correct content to their mobiles. A few ways to do this type of research would include using Google Analytics or to run a survey to find out more about how they are using their mobile devices.
- Define and set goals This step is equally important. Setting and defining goals in your Mobile Marketing strategy will help you understand what it is you want to accomplish from the strategy. Keep your audiences setting in mind, mobile users may not be ready to make a purchase but your Mobile Marketing can be used as an opportunity to share your brand with them.
- Establish KPIs Once you have your goals in place you need to figure out what you are going to use to measure these goals. Examples of KPIs that can be used in Mobile Marketing include: Open Rate (%), Retention Rate (%) and ROAS (Return on Ad Spend).
- Monitor metrics Monitoring the performance of your Mobile Marketing is the only way you will know whether you have managed to achieve your goals or not. It is important to put the correct mobile marketing tools into place so that you can have an effective way of monitoring the performance of your strategy.
Types of Mobile Marketing techniques:
Quick Response codes are an effective marketing tool that is activated when it is scanned using the camera on a mobile device. Once a QR code is scanned, your consumers will be redirected to your website or online offer where they can view more information. iPhone and Android offer many free QR and barcode apps that you can download. QR codes can be used on brochures, flyers, business cards or even on your product packaging.
Location-based advertising is used as a personalized form of advertising because its sole purpose is to target your audience when they are in a certain geographic distance. You can use locations to your advantage in order to target a specific group of people who are in a specific area.
Texts are generally more effective than emails due to it being a more personal way of communication. The open rates on SMS’s are a lot higher given that the texts go through to a mobile device that is carried around with us. Specials, promotions, and coupons can be sent using SMS marketing and this technique can even be used just to spread brand awareness. SMS’s are limited by characters so your content should be short and to the point.
This technique refers to the ads that pop up within mobile games. These ads will generally link to a page where the consumer can either find out more information or purchase your product. It is important to ensure that your product is related to the game in some way or else the chances of your ad being closed and not engaged with are very high.
These ads pertain to any marketing campaign or message that pops up while you are using an app. These messages are in real time and are more personalized than the messages you receive outside of apps.
Social Media marketing
This type of Mobile Marketing will target its audience through social media on mobile devices. Users are more likely to use social media on their mobiles than they are on a desktop, making the audience much larger on mobiles devices. Social Media marketing and Mobile Marketing are 2 of the biggest growing areas in the technology industry so it makes sense to combine the 2 for optimal results.
Factors that help to ensure effective mobile marketing
- Mobile-friendly website
- Content needs to be mobile-friendly – keywords are key
- Use apps and platforms that use mobile apps
- Emails must be mobile-friendly
- SMS must be personal
- Keep it as simple as possible, be very clear
It’s a yes from us!
If you are not using mobile marketing yet, it is time to start. Mobile marketing is not just a craze, it is here to stay. Therefore it is important for agencies to adapt and bring this form of marketing into their strategies.
Mobile marketing is not a stand-alone effort, you need to make sure that it is being used in conjunction with other marketing campaigns. A large percentage of your audience can be reached through mobile marketing but still incorporate other marketing techniques so that you can reach a broader audience.
Interested in reading more about digital marketing and some of the latest trends. Take a look at the other blogs on our page!